E05 - Trauma-Informed Services for Adolescents—Treatment Strategies and Collaboration with Significant Others (1.50 CEs)
Date & Time
Thursday, August 17, 2017, 10:15 AM - 11:45 AM
This session will identify existing data, evidence-based resources and creative strategies for working with traumatized youth and their families. Research on developmental aspects of trauma, specific curricula for treatment and strategies to break through common barriers to recovery will be discussed.
Upon completion of this session, attendees will be able to:
- Define trauma and its impact on adolescent development as it applies to working with youth and families experiencing SUDs.
- Cite specific strategies and evidence-based curricula for addressing trauma needs in clinical work.
- Formulate a plan to collaborate with significant others to increase their understanding of the impact of trauma on adolescent behavior.
- Summarize the major areas of the body that drugs and alcohol negatively impact and nutritional recommendations for recovery.
- Apply coaching skills to determine how diet can undermine clinical goals by examining how nutrient deficiencies can mimic symptoms of depression, anxiety and low energy.