Health Plans Address America’s Opioid Epidemic with Evidence-Based Strategies
Date & Time
Tuesday, April 3, 2018, 12:30 PM - 1:45 PM
Eric Bailly, LPC, LADC, CM Business Solutions Director, Anthem, Inc.
Douglas (Doug) Nemecek, Chief Medical Officer, Cigna
Andrea Gelzer, Sr. VP & Corporate Chief Medical Officer, AmeriHealth Caritas
Barbara Henry, RPh, Clinical Pharmacy Coordinator, Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
Moderator: J. Kevin Massey, Health Administrator, Correct Care Solutions, Member, National Rx Drug Abuse & Heroin Summit Advisory Board
CE Certified By: AMA,AAFP,ACPE,ANCC,NAADAC,NASW,NBCC
Clinical leaders from health plans will discuss programs and strategies to engage patients, providers, and communities to combat the opioid epidemic. The panel will describe how education, prevention, early intervention, behavioral healthcare and evidence-based treatment are critical components of a multi-faceted, multi-stakeholder approach to effectively caring for pain while also reducing the risk of addiction. Panelists will consider the following questions:
1. Have any policies been implemented for reducing inappropriate opioid prescribing?
2. What are those policies and what methods of communication have been utilized to disseminate information about the policies to patients and physicians, pharmacists and other healthcare practitioners, especially for situations where opioid thresholds might be exceeded?
3. Have non-opioid pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic pain care coverage options been added, or have other changes been implemented to facilitate access to other pain care options for patients?
4. Are measures being implemented or explored that would increase access to medication assisted treatment for opioid use disorder?
5. Are measures being implemented or explored that would increase access to mental health, behavioral health and other modalities to help treat opioid use disorder?
6. Are other measures being implemented or explored that would enhance the overdose prevention efforts of your members?
7. What role does naloxone play?
8. Are you tracking the impact of these policies, not only on opioid utilization, but also on overall health outcomes?
UPON COMPLETION OF THIS COURSE, PARTICIPANTS WILL BE ABLE TO:
- Describe health plan programs and strategies to address the opioid epidemic.
- Reconize the importance of collaboration across all stakeholders.
- Identify ongoing challenges and strategies to address those challenges to curtail the opioid crisis.